No shows booked at the moment.
07:35 AM Apr 01
06:59 AM Apr 01
04:42 AM Apr 01
02:54 AM Apr 01
02:15 AM Apr 01
01:38 AM Apr 01
As ye may well be aware, things have changed at Conroy’s Basement over the summer. We at Make That A Take have seized the means and are now in full control of the diary and the book. Evolution is part of our human experience, the only true constant being change. The previous “The Summer of Our Discontent” blog discusses these changes in greater detail, but we’re through the worst of the transition period now.
We thought it prudent to publish these terms and conditions, both in the interests of transparency and to have an online reference point. That MTAT formed in 2006 is no secret, but the pre-history of our collective stretches back well over twenty years. In the first instance, we were mentored by the folk music scene in rural Perthshire; Wedge took us into his practice room to watch his band rehearse. We learned by observation before being invited to play ourselves, by full immersion in the experience; learning by doing informed our principles and formed the foundations of our collective – ye do what ye can with what ye got. Ye can read all this back story stuff on Write Yer Ane Zine. We acknowledge our privilege; we were very lucky.
Collectively, we have spent most of our lives learning and growing, thousands of hours of labour; being in terrible bands, playing shows, touring, doing sound, hosting bands, booking tours, sleeping in vans, playing to nobody, being in decent bands, lending gear, building PA systems, badgering pals, losing money, making money, losing gear, being mugged, being banned, making friends, losing friends; making all the mistakes that it’s possible to make, like Sisyphus pushing the rock. We’re pulling for ALL artists, we want your band to rule. I want Goodbye Blue Monday to be bigger than Blink 182. If a lesson learned in Joey T can help our friends today, then it should be passed on. Rome wasn’t built in a day, but it burned in six.
Basically what I’m saying is that these “rules” don’t exist because we’re assholes (we’re assholes for entirely separate reasons), these “rules” exist because we have lived and learned experience. We don’t claim to have all the answers, things ALWAYS work better in the spirit of collaboration, when a sense of shared purpose brings people together. We are living in times of desperate alienation, just today the local press has talked of another decade of austerity while millions are being made in the private sector. We believe that by working together to create a better space, we can begin to create a better world. Sure, a punk basement isn’t the world but it is a start. To quote Dom Kaddish, we “resolve to be socially responsible and just citizens in a time of spectres“.
While ye are here, there’s 20% off our 100+ release digital discography on our Bandcamp page and a summer sale happening over at BigCartel. Simple though it may be, the best way to support independent art of any kind is to buy it, share it, talk about it, TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS; come to shows, buy records, buy merch, get involved. You have so much more power than you know.
Together, we can conquer anything.
CONROY’S BASEMENT, DUNDEE – TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
Conroy’s Basement is an independent live music space operated by Make That A Take Records (MTAT). The venue space is available for hire by independent promoters, bands and collectives to promote live music. The venue space is also available to hire for club nights and special events.
MTAT aims to foster a positive environment free from all forms of discrimination. Anti-social behaviour will be not be tolerated. Please see the MTAT “House Rules” attached at the end of this document. MTAT reserves the right to refuse or cancel bookings. These terms and conditions will be updated periodically, as required.
Contact email; firstname.lastname@example.org
Standard Gig booking fee; £100
– This covers venue/PA hire + sound engineer.
– We encourage all bookers to bring their own backline.
– Gear shares between bands are also encouraged.
– If this is not possible, some gear belonging to the collective may be available for a small fee (£25)
Standard Club Night booking fee; £150
– This covers venue/PA/security hire
– Club night hours are strictly 11pm-2.30am
– Club night hires are only available on Friday/Saturday, at this time
All bookings include access to the basement bar.
Deposit; bookings will be confirmed upon receipt of a £50 non-refundable deposit, payable by bank transfer or cash. Deposits are also payable by Paypal but are £55, to cover fees (sorry!).
The remaining balance must be paid in full before doors on the night of your booking.
Paypal address; email@example.com
Friday and Saturday nights are by far and away the most popular and get booked up quickly, so please be aware that your desired date may not always be available.
No bookings will be confirmed until deposits are paid and terms and conditions agreed to.
We will do our very best to work with you to make your event as successful as possible. In the spirit of collaboration, we believe that in working together we can host the best possible events in a positive and safe environment. MTAT is an anti-bigotry, anti-fascist, anti-sexist, anti-racist, anti-homophobic, anti-transphobic collective.
For more information pertaining MTAT policies and history, please read this FAQ.
Conroy’s Basement is a venue conceived by artists for artists. It’s a basement space with a DIY-built PA system, constructed by two of the east coast’s finest sound engineers with decades of collective experience. We’ve been running this space for over three years, hosting over 300 shows in that time, and our system has evolved over time. It will continue to do so.
PA is a 2.5kw rig with 16-channel mixer.
It’s loud. Earplugs are recommended.
– Venue capacity is 100.
– No more than 100 tickets can be sold.
– There is no “green room”.
– There is no allocated seating.
– There is parking around the back of the building
– Load in the side entrance of the building
– Gear must be stored in the corner to stage-right
– Gear cannot be stored in the venue over night
– We have no Wi-Fi
– There is a bar serving drinks.
– Strictly no drinks outside.
– Do not bring your own drinks (refillable water bottles excepted)
– We will provide all mics stands, mics, PA cables, etc.
Load in – 5pm onwards.
Soundcheck – 5pm-7pm
Doors open – 7pm/7.30pm
Sunday-Thursday must be finished by 10.30pm.
ALL gear and humans loaded out by 11pm.
Friday/Saturday shows must finished by 11.30pm at the absolute latest.
ALL gear/humans out by midnight. There will be no exceptions.
Your show will be assigned a representative from the MTAT collective and a sound engineer.
Access to the venue is available from 5pm. In exceptional circumstances, please advise of any requirements outside these hours at least two weeks in advance.
Club Nights; 11pm-2.30am
– DJs must provide their own equipment (vinyl/CD decks, laptop, etc).
– A MTAT representative will be present for load-in/set-up
PLEASE NOTE: If you are organizing a gig with more than 3 acts please let us know in advance.
Promotion; it is your responsibility to promote the show.
– A Facebook event page alone does not count as gig promotion.
– Please make Conroy’s Basement a co-host on any event page that you make.
– Please make sure we have POSTERS for your show at the venue at least FOUR WEEKS prior.
– Please email all online promotional materials to Conroy’s Basement.
– We will include your event in all of Conroy’s Basement’s gig listings
– It is your responsibility to sell tickets for your events. We recommend Groucho’s Music in Dundee.
In advance; knowledge is power!
– Please provide full-tech spec and running order, including set times.
– Please make sure that FULL BACKLINE arrangements have been made.
– It is your responsibility to fulfill any/all contractual obligations to artists booked
– You must let us know of any RIDERS that may need be brought in. These are your responsibility.
– Any ALCOHOL on riders must be stored in the fridge behind the bar. Drinks tickets will then be allocated which can then be exchanged for rider drinks from the bar. There can be no exceptions.
– It is the responsibility of the promoter to provide all riders and information pertaining them.
– We have no cooking/re-heating facilities at this time.
– Let us know if there are any problems we can help resolve.
On the night; it is your responsibility to run the show.
– Booking fees must be paid in full before doors open. If this is a problem, please advise.
– You must provide your own door person to take tickets/entry. We will provide a £50 float.
– It is your responsibility to make sure all artists are informed of venue rules/set times/etc.
– You must provide your sound engineer with set times.
– Headline bands will soundcheck first. Opening bands will then set up. Line-checks for others.
– It is your responsibility to pay acts.
– Anyone found bringing in their own alcohol will be asked to leave and banned.
– Drinks in the venue are cheap.
– Loading out must be completed by the agreed times. No gear can be stored in the venue.
The MTAT collective was established in 2006 and we’ve been involved in thousands of shows and events since then. Run by punks for punks, we’ve been involved in the musical community for over twenty years and aim to foster an atmosphere of positivity, inclusion and collaboration.
We aim to treat everyone with dignity and respect, and would hope for the same in return. We are more than happy to discuss any issues or concerns that anyone may have about the operation of the space. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any and all questions/enquiries.
Be radical, spread joy.